Developed external haemorrhoid. Using Preparation H Anti-Itch Cream with Hydrocortisone. Diet?

I have developed for the first time an external hemorrhoid. I have had it for 4 days now and it is not too big but appears long in length. I skipped taking fiber for three days and pushed too hard when I went to the bathroom.
It Does not bleed, does not hurt when defecating but stings and hurts at other times. Using Preparation H Anti-Itch Cream with Hydrocortisone, Preparation H wipes and taking warm baths.
Will these steps shrink the hemorrhoid in a few weeks if I just keep up with this routine? What else could I do to speed up the process besides a diet change?

Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
If not thrombosed, external hemorrhoids may cause few problems.However, when thrombosed, hemorrhoids may be very painful.
Nevertheless this pain typically resolves in 2 - 3 days.The swelling however may take a few weeks to disappear.
After healing,a skin tag generally remains. If hemorrhoids are large and cause issues with hygiene, they may produce irritation of the surrounding skin and thus itchiness around the anus.

External hemorrhoids most often itch, burn, or bleed, and they can be painful, inflamed, and swollen. They're the most common cause of bleeding during bowel movements.

There are several home remedies like
Warm sitz baths, dietary changes, stool softeners, exercises and OTC medications.
But if it causes recurrent problems,you may resort to surgical removal or laser therapy.
Steroid containing creams should never be used for more than 10 to 14 days,as it may cause thinning of skin.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck