Developed dry cough. Took salbutamol and having a spasm in windpipe. Gastro reflux experienced. Need advise?

General Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXand I am a 54 year old woman in reasonably good condition. In early August I developed a very dry croupy cough that at times would make me gag and vomit. I went to the Doctor who provided me with a salbutamol.I use it every 4 hours/two puffs. Approximately, a week later I developed almost a spasm in my windpipe. Hence, any stimulation to my throat area aka cough, sneeze, would cause an episode of not breathing through my mouth and it could last up to 30 secs maybe more. I would gasp trying to get my air back but could not. I have become very good at slapping my hand over my mouth to breathe through my nose during these very freightneing episodes. On Monday August 19th I went back to the Doctor and she felt maybe I was experiencing Gastro reflux at these times. She prescribed Tectra to ease acids in my stomach. It seemed to be quieting down but this afternoon after cleaning the house I suffered two attacks back to back. I am scared and need some assurance that all will be well? What is my prognosis.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your prognosis is good.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by two conditions which like to associate each other. First is asthma, second is gastreesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Acid reflux disease is a condition caused by increased acid production and this acid reflux to the esophagus, throat and even mouth. Acid presence in the throat can cause its inflammation.
Acid reflux can be a disease itself. It can be also a symptom of stomach issues including peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection.

For asthma disease cough and windpipe spasm are very characteristic. The cough is very often triggered by physical activity. Allergy can be also associated with this condition.

Both conditions can be well controlled with medicines so your prognosis is very good. But before any treatment, you need proper diagnostic. You should have gastroscopy done to check stomach condition and spirometry (blow test) for asthma diagnostics. Please consult gastrologist and pulmunologist for this tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.