Developed dizziness and stomach ache after spinning on tornado. Safe to give meclizine 12.5mg?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
my 8 year old boy (approx 49 lbs.) Had a very fast sort of spinning ride at school today called the "tornado" . Well now he's trying to lay down for bedtime 6hrs. later and is complaining of dizziness and stomach ache from the ride. Can I dose him with a 12.5mg of meclizine? Please help if you can, Dr. Thank you! XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
Due to the very fast spinning on Tornado, your child developed the motion sickness as manifested by dizziness, stomach ache and difficulty in sleeping.
I advise you not to give medication without his Pediatrician prescription of the drug.
Meclizine is used in children above the age of 12 years and in adults.
Safety and effectiveness of meclizine is not established in children less than age 12 years.
So I advise you to call or consult his Pediatrician for the drug advise.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Regards.

Follow-up: Developed dizziness and stomach ache after spinning on tornado. Safe to give meclizine 12.5mg? 4 minutes later
Thank you Dr. I should have included one further question. With no meclizine, is there anything I should give him if he continues to have this vertigo? And how long does something like this last when it does present itself in a young person like my son (8years). Thank you for your time and input. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query,
Drugs like promethazine (phenergan), promethazine thecolate (avomine) can be given if he continue to have vertigo.
These are antihistamines and cause drowsiness and should be taken after consulting your child Pediatrician.
As a home remedy ginger root will help to relive the associated nausea. So sipping a ginger tea or sucking on crystallized ginger will relieve the stomach pain and nausea.
Usually the episode will last for 6 to 12 hours depending on individual but once the child sleeps well, the feeling of sickness will subside early.
Regards.