Developed depression. Concerned. What to do?

I am concerned about my wife who I love very much I recently discovered depression is herriderary in my wife family wth her uncle shooting himselh her grand mother dying from severe depression and her father constantly threatening to kill him self I am concerned that my wife may be taken of advantage by so called friends etc. sexualy with her believing that she is popular and accepted.I have spoken to her on the phone when she is out and I can hear the positive energy in her voice .Upon arrival at home she is quite different to me and our 7 year old daughter. we have been together 22 years. As much as it hurts I just want my beautiful wife and soul mate back please help

Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand how difficult in might be to cope with such fear, especially with some one you love you was this family history. But I will like to assure you there is still much hope and no need to panic this far.

It s true depression has family history links, but however, there is still much you can do to avoid this eventuality. The fact is you love her, you need to make her realize you do love her. I ma sorry you have been married for this long, but you need simple techniques to rekindle the love flame between you and her and keep her heart even more closer to you.

- Ensure you tell her how beautiful, caring, wonderful and indispensable she is to you and the child. How worthless life could be without her and how soul dependent you depend on her for a living
- Make her again feel she is everything

I do not know what you now do as a job, or what she does as a job. The amount of time you spend together is of utmost importance. This increases the bonding among you and its very important.

It might be necessary for you to know some signs of depression,a s you might know may be by now (mood changes, excess or reduced sleep, appetite changes, social gathering reduction etc) so as to detect them earlier and talk, inspire, ignite, comfort and make her recognize you are deeply concerned and involved in her well being and how she is doing. Recognizing the signs and symptoms getting too intense, should cause you to seek or advice her to seek medical advice. Her trusted friends and very loved ones could at times serve as entry points to address and make her realize certain key issues.

Thanks for the query and wishing you the best. Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.