Developed cuts on foreskin. Pap smear showed consistent for herpes simplex. Required treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
My husbands penis gets covered with white fluid from vagina of my wife every time i have intercourse with him.
He get cuts inside my foreskin at point where it touches the shaft, every time i have intercourse with him. The cut heals in 3 days. The cut has itchy mild pain when the foreskin is stretched backwards. We both are Non-Diabetic.

I have been detected urine infection of e-coli in urine culture.
The pus cells are in range of 30 to 40 in my urine routine.
I am Non-Diabetic.
I took Ofloxacin 400 mg BDS for 12 days.
I am taking Amikacin 500 mg BDS injections IM.

I had sores in her vagina and around anus when I had the periods twenty days back.
The sores were eating away skin tissue upto shallow depth.
Sores have now healed 95% in 25 days.

The Pap Smear of the sores says "Consistent with Herpes Simplex Virus".

Blood test done at 3rd day of onset of sores shows negative for HSV I and II.

Question = Could these sores be of bacterial infection.
(or if HSV then what could be the certainty).
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband develops cuts in his foreskin and has whitish discharge from foreskin and genitals after intercourse.

You have mentioned that you had sore over your perineal region which was examined and proved to be due to evidence of you having herpes infection, it is most likely that he has acquired herpes infection through sexual intercourse.However this can be confirmed only on microscopic examination of a discharge from his genitals

If proved to be positive both of you will have to take anti viral medications and antibiotics with the guidance from a qualified Dermatologist or Specialist in sexually transmitted diseases.

If his problem of retracting foreskin over glans persists( Phimosis) he may need to get circumcised.

Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to ask if you have more questions .I shall be happy to answer the same.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Developed cuts on foreskin. Pap smear showed consistent for herpes simplex. Required treatment? 46 hours later
Facts =
My husband develops cuts in his foreskin after intercourse.
He does not get whitish discharge from his penis.
The whitish discharge is from my vagina.

The pain of retracting foreskin over glans is only during cuts.
He is not suffering from Phimosis.

I had sores over your perineal region which was examined in Pap Smear as "Consistent for Herpes Simplex".

Question = How much authentic is Pap Smear in Detecting Herpes Simplex?

If proved to be positive both of us will have to take anti viral medications and antibiotics.
Question = Antivirals to be taken, Only if sores come again or as preventive therapy?

Question = When can sores come again. What could be the frequency of that?

Thanks with due Regards to Dr. XXXXXXX

Hello
Thanks for follow up.
You are getting whitish vaginal discharge suggesting active vaginal infection .You can get it examined for microscopic examination to confirm whether it is bacterial, fungal or Herpes infection and take treatment accordingly.

He gets cuts on foreskin during intercourse and not getting retracted freely over glans penis is suggestive of partial Phimosis.

Herpes infection is never gets eradicated completely and permanently. It remains dormant for couple of months and recurs again.You can not prevent recurrence by taking drugs.

Pap smear examination is reliable tool to detect viral infection.

It is very difficult to predict the time and duration of recurrence.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.