Developed cold and itching inside nose. What should I do to get relief?

Sep 2012

I developed a cold/sinusy thing last week and it has lasted into this week. The thing that I cant seem to get under control is the constant irratation in my left nostril when i breathe causes me eye to water and me to sneeze. Nothing that I am taking is clearing up the addtitional congestion that I am suffering but to boot the constant crazy itching in my nose is insane. What can i do to calm that down. I have used saline. and sometimes use afrin at night but it is difficult to wear my cpap at night because the air pushing into my nose causes me fits. what do you think?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates possibility of allergic reaction to some allergen which may be cold / weather / dust.

For relief you have to take a cetrizine group of antiallergic drug. You can take it 10 mg at bed time. It will lower the nasal irritation that you are experiencing.

If the above drug fails to provide any relief, nasal spray containing Azelastine / Olopatadine group of drugs can be taken. It will provide relief from local irritation of the nasal mucosa. It can also be used along with the cetrizine.

If the above medicine also fails to provide any relief, you have to use the nasal spray containing fluticasone group of drugs. If this fails, then systemic steroids like prednisolone group of drug should be taken.

So, you just consult with your treating doctor for the above mentioned step by step approach to calm that irritation down.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have anymore question.