Developed chronic hives, esophagael spasms. Antihistamines helps, Nexiumm and Zantac doesn't help for esophaegal spasms. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am 38 years old. 8 months ago I developed chronic hives. Two weeks ago, I developed esophageal spasms. Antihistamines take the edge off but do not eliminate the hives. Nexium and Zantac do nothing for the esophageal spasms. I am getting scared because medicines don't seem to work. I had a scratch test for allergies last year and I am not allergic to anything, according to my doctor. What is causing this? I'm a singer so I am really worried about the prospect of chronic problems with my esophagus.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take nitrates or calcium channel blockers

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I appreciate your concern. You haven't mentioned how was spasm developed. For GERD continue with Nexium also take a prokinetic agent like domperidone. For Oesophageal spasm take nitrates or calcium channel blockers just before meals , dose of which you can discuss with your treating doctor

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Developed chronic hives, esophagael spasms. Antihistamines helps, Nexiumm and Zantac doesn't help for esophaegal spasms. Suggest? 13 hours later
Thank you for your reply. The gerd and spasms came out of the blue. One day I was fine the next day I was fighting for breath and coughing. Will nitrates interfere with my beta blocker? I take 25 mg atenolol every day.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No nitrates will not interfere with atenolol

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback. No nitrates will not interfere with atenolol as they are very short acting and the mechanism of action of both as apparent from there name is entirely different

I hope I have answered your query.If you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Developed chronic hives, esophagael spasms. Antihistamines helps, Nexiumm and Zantac doesn't help for esophaegal spasms. Suggest? 19 minutes later
Thank you for your help :-)

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I earnestly desire that you may get well soon

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I earnestly desire that you may get well soon