Developed chronic and constant cough. Do smoking. Getting weird palpitation. What is it?

Apr 2014

Hi, in the last two years I have developed a chronic and constant cough which is worse with activity. I smoke between 5-10 cigarettes a day and am forever trying to quit. I noticed that I had weird pulses through my chest when I ate chocolate, but in the last two weeks it happens everytime I do leglifts (pretty much my only excercise). It can last a few minutes to hours at a time. It is hard to explain, but it is like my heart beats a few times in one part of my chest, then another, then another...very strange. No idea if that is what is called a palpitation. I would truely appreciate your advice. A
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from chronic bronchitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You are suffering from chronic bronchitis and this is due to your smoking habit. Now,you should seriously think about quitting smoking.You can also take help from psychologist in quitting addiction.You can quit by strong determination and it is necessary for you otherwise lung functions will deteriorate with time. For chronic bronchitis,you need antibiotics,inhalers to reduce inflammation in airways. You need proper clinical examination and investigations for your cardiac problem. Palpitation is a sensation in which a person is aware of an irregular, hard, or rapid heart beat. In most of the cases it is normal,but you you need screening to detect any abnormality. You need routine hemogram,RBS,Lipid profile,LFT,RFT,ultrasound of abdomen,ECG in all leads,chest X-ray (PA view),Pulmonary function test,Thyroid profile,Sputum culture,other tests can be done if needed. These tests will detect the cause of your problem. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigations. You should consult pulmonologist and cardiologist. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX