Developed cardiac arrhythmia. ECHO reveals no abnormality. On ecosprin. Suggest

recently developed cardiac arrythmia, holtermonitoring ,echo, tmt reveales no abnormality.currentle on medications i.e. tab.seloken 25xl x b.d., ecosprin 75 od. but still not recovering satisfactory. my age is 49ys and am a ch. smokerand alcoholic but now had reduced these considerably.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 23 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

Cardiac arrhythmia has varied etiology , various causes of cardiac arrythmias are:

Heavy alcohol consumption
Thyroid dysfunction
Ischemic heart disease,and other structural disorders of heart.

Please check your thyroid levels to rule out hyperthyroidism as the cause .

As in your case, all the cardiac investigations are normal, the chances of structural heart disorders are less, although it can not be ruled out.

May be smoking and alcohol had played it's part in the arrythmias, I will recommend you to stop both of them altogether, and see what benefit you archive from that.Please limit your coffee/ colas intake as well, as these excessive use can lead to arrythmias.

If still the problem persists, next logical choice will be to go for electro physiological studies of the heart, to rule out any aberrant conduction defects in heart rhythm.

Please let me know if you need further informtion.