Developed bruise and lump on leg after falling down. How to remove this?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Question
I fell about two weeks ago and the back of my left leg is very bruised and there are lumps under the bruised areas. What can I do to dissolve or breakdown these lumps and is it XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 14 minutes later

When a portion of the limb is subjected to injury, which is typically moderate, there is bleeding within the muscles as well as in the skin. In the early stages after the injury, the blood is in a liquid form and the collection can be drained by a small incision with the introduction of a drain. However, in your case, after a period of 2 weeks, the blood is usually in a clotted and solidified form and would subsequently be absorbed by the body in a method of recycling. There is a small glitch however, in that the bleeding in the skin leading to the bruise can take a long time to disappear and in some cases may cause long term pigmentation anomalies.
Therefore, since the process is spontaneous and the lumps would break down by themselves, no active management is needed at this point of time. If you experience pain, you can resort to analgesics, which would also inhibit the inflammation associated with the injury. Additionally, hot compresses over the affected area and light massaging would also help in breaking down of the clots and promote faster absorption.
There are a few things I would additionally like to mention: since you take medications for high blood pressure, it is imperative that the blood pressure is kept under control during this time as a sudden rise in blood pressure, which can also occur due to anxiety, can promote further bleeding. Also, keeping your age in mind, I would advise you not to restrict yourself to bed since this can promote stasis of blood in your lower limbs.
Apart from these, I would like to assure you that this is a totally benign condition and would heal by itself with time and requires no active intervention at this point of time.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. I hope my answer reassures you and helps you out!

Follow-up: Developed bruise and lump on leg after falling down. How to remove this? 24 hours later
Thank you doctor, I was concerned about clots. I've been using a moist heating pad and that gave me relief. Also, took an analgesic for the inflammation. Again, thank you for your quick response.

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 16 hours later
You are welcome.

Don't worry about clots, they would disappear on their own if given time. You can also keep your affected limb raised over a pillow during sleep if you find the tenderness persisting as it would further decrease the swelling.

Good luck.