Developed bouts of gastric spasms in the lowest thoracic wall. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
Question
I have recently developed bouts of gastric spasms in the lowest thoracic/ epigastric posterior wall on eating.it comes on acutely and lasts about half an hour. It doesn't happen every time but is more likely to occur when I go out for a meal.It seems unrelated to the type of food and does not affect my bowels. I am a qualified nurse but I cannot think of what has suddenly caused this. I have recently retired and am not particularly stressed. Otherwise fit and healthy, not obese.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are most likely caused by stomach disease. It can be stomach inflammation, peptic ulcers or Helicobacter Pylori infection. However with such symptoms it is also necessary to consider stomach cancer.
You may also have symptoms like acid reflux, chest burning, nausea, weight lost.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some basic diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work and upper GI endoscopy with Helicobacter Pylori infection check, should be done at first.
In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, chocolate, fruit juices.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Developed bouts of gastric spasms in the lowest thoracic wall. What could be the cause? 21 minutes later
Have had blood work done and all was normal. I have had no other symptoms and otherwise feel well. Feels a bit like a diverticulitis, could this be possible?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Diverticulitis gives very characteristic lower left abdominal pain. It is also strongly related with chronic constipation (and you have mentioned that you are fit and healthy so I dont think that you have constipation). So diverticulitis at your case does not seem possible.
Peptic ulcer or any other stomach disease does not give any abnormal blood work results. This is quite common that everything is fine in all tests, and the pain is still there. That is why only endoscopy can tell.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Developed bouts of gastric spasms in the lowest thoracic wall. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
Thanks very much for your help. Could it be a simple case of stomach flu or do you think I should see the doctor fairly soon? Many thanks you have been very helpful

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
If it is a stomach flu, the symptoms should go away after few days. If not, other stomach diseases should be ruled out. So you can wait this few days and if not improving, than you should visit your doctor and get scheduled for endoscopy.
Try to keep mild diet for day or two, avoid fatty foods, fried foods, spicy foods, alcohol and coffee.

Hope this will help.
Regards.