Developed boils on inner thigh. Should I consult a dermatologist?

I have developed boils recently since past 2 weeks. Its seen towards the inner thighs below my private parts. I observed that the boils go away in some time, but new ones keep developing. Should I consult a dermatologist in this regard.

Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Recurrent boils are caused by bacterial infection by a bacteria staphylococcus aureus.
It needs to be treated with special drugs like mupirocin.

It is available as a Mupirocin 2% oint.It has to be applied twice daily over the affected area.Also it has to be applied in nasal cavity where the source of infection usually is.

Also washing your hands frequently with antiseptic hand wash will help a lot.

A visit to dermatologist will be required to confirm the diagnosis and prescribe you few oral antibiotic drugs.This will help get rid of infection rapidly.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.