Developed bacterial and yeast infection. Put on Doxycyclene. Infection recurred after surgery. What can be done?

I developed a bacteria infection and two yeast infections back in February and was not diagnosed until March when I had my pap smear. I was put on Doxycyclene (I have a Bartholyn cyst) and it did not clear it up. My doctor didn't want to put me on another antibiotic so I was living in pain. He was going to do a laproscopy to see if anything was wrong. The pelvic ultrasound showed nothing. I decided to just have a hysterectomy. A week after the surger, the bacteria infection came back. I was put on Flagyl. It helped but it has come back again. My doctor is on vacation so I went to another doctor and he prescribed me a 14-day round of Flagyl again. What options do I have to clear this up once and for all. I believe using Rephresh gel had been the culprit of throwing my PH out of whack and giving me the bacteria infection. My doctor is at a loss on why it would come back. I'm not using any products or douching to do this.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Having treatment for vaginal infection twice without being relieved completely is distressing.
Bacterial vaginosis is usually associated with super added fungal infections and if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence. A common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner which keeps on reinfecting the female partner repeatedly.
A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
In this scenario, you must consult with a gynecologist regarding this for proper guidance through pelvic examination (with or without speculum), relevant investigation (like STD profile, vaginal swab test, complete hormone assay etc). Take the supportive medication and get your partner also treated.

Following life style changes are helpful to prevent future recurrence of BV:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much.
3) Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning. Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ walking/ treadmill etc.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
5) Avoid concurrent practice of vaginal and anal intercourse in alternate way during same session.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Developed bacterial and yeast infection. Put on Doxycyclene. Infection recurred after surgery. What can be done? 34 minutes later
My gynecologist said it was not STD related, it was a normal bacteria infection found in my pap. I was tested for chlamydia and gonnarhea (just in case) and it was negative. I did not have intercourse prior to the 2nd time it came back, which was a week after my hysterectomy. He checked a swab about 3 weeks later and it was fine, but last week it felt like it was back and now I'm in pain again. My doctor is on vacation so I just went to a General Practice doctor that gave me the Flagyl and said talk to my gynecologist about it when he gets back from vacation. Should my husband be on the antibiotic anyway, just in case? Will probiotics help with the antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If STDs have been ruled out then the recurrence is likely to be due to an incomplete treatment. Resistance to metronidazole is also likely. In such cases, secnidazole and azithromycin are preferred. But these are prescription medicines and you need to get these prescribed from your physician. Concurrent treatment of your husband will be helpful in preventing recurrence.
Taking probiotics is a good idea. It will also help in preventing recurrence.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Developed bacterial and yeast infection. Put on Doxycyclene. Infection recurred after surgery. What can be done? 1 hour later
Thank you for your help. I have one last question: Is it okay to take hot baths to alleviate the symptoms or is it better to avoid baths and just take showers until the infection is gone. I just started taking the Flagyl yesterday and I have 12 more days to go.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
It is best to avoid hot baths till the infection is cleared as it can cause dryness and add to the itching. You can take a shower till you are symptomatically better.