Developed an inflamed area between scrotum and anus. Severe itching. Why is there a bump? Are they warts?

On my perineal raphe half way between the scrotum and anus, I have developed an inflamed area. It began about 6 months ago, I noticed in the mornings (I didnt notice it any other time) I would have a severe itching. One day I noticed a small bump had appeared. I thought it was a clogged pore. Very minor sensitivity but nothing remarkable. In the past 3 weeks it has now become larger (about the size of a pea), feels like a solid blister, skin tone in color, smooth (not rough like a wart). But the big issue now is the severe burning type pain with friction ( as in walking or touch). If I sit still the pain is non existent. I looked up warts, but the only pictures I see are severe cluster outbreaks. This one is single. I have no idea what this could be and I am in pain every time I try to walk. Any suggestions before I have to make an embarrassing trip to the Dr.'s office?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

This could just be a skin tag which has developed as a result of chronic friction and scratching.

Is it possible for you to take a pic of that growth and attach it here using the "upload your reports feature".

It will be great if you can do so as an inspection of the lesion is very important in skin problems. We can arrive on a precise diagnosis.

Otherwise we can only guess.

As for the pain, let us try some emollient like petrolatum (vaseline) twice daily, and avoid scratching the area.

awaiting your response.