Developed an extreme pain in upper arm. Why am I experiencing this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I developed an extreme pain in my upper left arm, radiating from my armpit yesterday. Today it is worse and I cant lift my arm. When I press on my arm next to my armpit, it is very painful. Nothing has happened in terms of me exercising, falling, wrenching my arm - it just occurred from no obvious cause.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

You might be suffering from adhesive capsulitis of the left shoulder. Most of the time there is no cause for it, but is most common in people with diabetes and thyroid disease. So you need to get your blood sugar and thyroid levels checked. So we would need to get a blood sugar (post prandial level to be done 2 hours after meals) and a TSH level (thyroid stimulating hormone level).

You also need a X-ray to be done to make sure there is no other problem, such as arthritis.

So get these things done so that we can conclusively find the cause.

Till then, you can do hot fomentation (using warm compresses) and Tablet Motrin 400 mg 1 tablet as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) with food. We would also need regular physiotherapy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

My best wishes are with you.