Developed abdominal hernia, not painful. Have jb requiring weight lifting. Is it safe?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have developed an abdominal hernia which seems quite mild and not painful.However I have taken on a job which requires moderate heavy lifting .I s this sensible or could it be dangerous?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Hernia is a condition where there is a outpunching from the abdominal cavity. Any strenuous activity will increase the size of the hernia and predispose to complications like irreducibility, obstruction and strangulation. These are XXXXXXX complications requiring urgent surgery. Results of emergency surgery may not always be promising.
Therefore I would advise you to undergo surgery for the same at the earliest which will yield good results.
Therefore a job which involves challenging physical effort should be avoided at any cost until a good repair is done for the hernia.
I hope this answers your question.