Developed a stinging sensation through the nostril after lidocaine injection. What is causing this?

Hi I went to have a filling put in last week and about a half hour after receiving the lidocaine injection I developed a stinging sensation through the left nostril only when I inhale either through my nose or my mouth. I feel like I'm almost always on the verge of a sneeze and the left side of my nose will run and my eyes will tear up. Could this be a reaction to the lidocaine or the possibility of a nerve that was hit?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Lidocaine sensitivity is less likely since the reaction is localised, persisting upto 1 week after the event since its action wears of within 24 hours.

2. I would suggest you visit your dentist regarding this and a local examination may lead to the cause of this if the symptoms are persisting now also.

3. Localised pain if present may require analgesics.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra