Developed a painless throbbing pain in head and hearing heartbeat. Taking metoporlol 50mg. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have developed a painless throbbing in the right side of my head. It's like I am just hearing my heart beat. Everything else is normal and I just had a checkup. This started two days after my checkup. I am 62 female with excellent medical background and in good health otherwise. No dizzyness and it comes and goes whether I am standing or lying down. We are two hours away from a major medical place and I hate to drive that distance if it is nothing but will go if it's something to be checked. Only meds are Metoporlol 50mg. 1 x day and amien 10mg 1 at night if needed.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
A painless throbbing on the side of your head corresponding with your heart beat is likely to be due to a high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism or anxiety. This is not likely to be associated with any serious problem.
Since your recent check up did not reveal any abnormalities, there is nothing to worry. You can relax and wait for 4-5 days for it to subside spontaneously.
In case there is headache, dizziness or any neurological deficits then consulting a physician for a detailed examination is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.