Developed a lump with bruising after being hit

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I fell and hit my cheek on the edge of something. It was painful and swelled within an hour. I also got a very bad bruise soon after. The bruise is gone but now there is a hard lump in my cheek in the affected area. Do i need to go to the dr. I dont have insurance
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Well,bruise is probably gone from superficial skin layer where it is visible,but bruise(hematoma) forms in deeper subcutaneous tissues too and there it can persist for few weeks before it is resorbed. Also,there can be muscle contusion or traumatic fibroma which is commonly seen after such injuries. In every case, I dont think that you need to visit doctor since all these things will pass spontaneously in short time. You can apply some ice compresses,but even without it,it will pass. You just need to be sure that there wasnt bone fracture in this area but it happens usually in more intensive injuries and in older people. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards