Developed a lump and swelling on groin. Feeling uncomfortable. How to get rid of this?

Neurologist, Surgical
I have developed a lump on my groin it has swollen in one day its quite big and very uncomftable, i cant walk properly, i havnt had sex for atleast 3 weeks and i used protection, i think it may be caused by razor bumps. I have no other side effects, i cant keep my legs straight without it hurting, what is it and how do i get rid of it, there is no blood but what looks like puss is in it.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later
Dear Friend,

From your history it appears you are having lymphadenitis - infection of lymph nodes. As there is a pus point, it needs medical attention.

Consult a surgeon at the earliest. It needs to be aspirated. You will also need antibiotic to prevent spread to other parts of the body.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Developed a lump and swelling on groin. Feeling uncomfortable. How to get rid of this? 7 hours later
What seems like liquid is coming from there, it seems like blood, i could only make a doctors apt for monday, and the doctors are shut over the weekend, do i need to go to hospital? Or is it safe to wait 2 days, is taking baths with no products safe or not? Can i reduce the swelling in any way?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 37 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, it would be better if you can show it to a doctor at the hospital and get it dressed.

If you are unable to make it to the hospital, you could use topical antibiotic cream such as neosporin on the lump. Take antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen twice a day after food. This should reduce the swelling.

Taking baths is ok. Keep it clean with antiseptics. And do plan your visit to the doctor at the earliest.

Hope this helps.

Dr Vineet