Developed a leg rash while clearing the poison ivy/sumac, healed. Recurred with itch, inflamed. Any ideas ?

Hi , I am 54, 5'-7", 180 lbs, normal BP and in extremely good health. I developed a leg leg rash last Fall when I was clearing the brush from my backyard and I thought it was from poison ivy or poison sumac. After a period of about a month, it went away. Then the rash returned about two months ago and it hasn't changed in size or itchiness during this re-occurrence. The rash is mildly inflamed (light red) and is mildly itchy at times (most of the time it is not especially itchy). The patch is on my right leg on the right side of the XXXXXXX (as I see it looking down), about 5" by 2" in area. I had my family practitioner look at it originally and he thought it was ringworm. As I got it within a few hours of working in the poison ivy/sumac area, I didn't think that was right, but he prescribed an ointment for ringworm that didn't make any difference in the symptoms for a month or so. So, any ideas?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

An itchy rash not responding to antifungal treatment can be a contact irritant dermatitis or any other dermatitis.

I will be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send in a photograph of the affected area. Please use the "Upload your reports" section on the right to upload a picture.

Follow-up: Developed a leg rash while clearing the poison ivy/sumac, healed. Recurred with itch, inflamed. Any ideas ? 22 hours later
Hi Dr. Batra,
I can't tell if you received the two photos I uploaded yesterday. Do I need to do something else?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 14 hours later

Thanks for the photographs.

The pictures suggest that you are suffering from dermatitis and not a fungal infection and you need to be treated with topical moisturizers and steroids under the guidance of a qualified dermatologist.

Avoidance of dryness is a must in treating the condition.

Dr.Rohit Batra