Developed a large hematoma due to fall. Have tenderness in the area. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell down a flight of stairs 5 mo ths ago and developed a large hematoma on my leg (larger than my hand). it was very swollen for several weeks. It took a couple of months to go away but now the area is still tender and the muscle seems to be indented where the hematoma was. I am a lean female 55 years of age. Should I be concerned ?
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to worry, if bony injury is ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. If bony injury is already ruled out, then no need to worry. When haematoma dissolves some indentation in underlying muscle can occur. Slight tenderness could be due to some inflammation. You can take some inflammatory drug like ibuprofen for pain and inflammation. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care