Developed a bump and spots on lips. Not sexually active. Negative for HSV. What else?

I am a healthy 29 year old male. I am not sexually active. I was recently tested for HSV1 and 2 and was negative via IGG test. I'm writing about a small bump on my lip. I have a bit of paranoia about contracting the cold sore virus since I don't have it, and most people do. I have not kissed anyone since being tested, nor have I eaten or drank after someone. This small bump on my lip seems to be present always, at least since I noticed it last week. It is painless. But it is raised above the skin slightly. I have fordyce spots all over my lips, which youll see in the photo in the flash. Is this just a larger one of those? Thank you very much.

Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is not likely to be a herpes virus

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

You are right in your statement that herpes 1 is commonly seen in the general population.

The test that you would have done (IgG) would be able to detect any antibodies to the either the HSV 1 or HSV 2 virus. Antibodies are formed when a person's body reacts to the presence of a particular virus.
If you had been infected with either of these viruses then it would have shown up on the test.

If you did not kiss or have any possible contact after this test then it is unlikely that you would have contracted the virus after this point.

It does appear to be a larger form of one of the fordyce spots which as you would probably know are small bumps that can appear on the genitals or lips.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Developed a bump and spots on lips. Not sexually active. Negative for HSV. What else? 2 hours later
Thank you very much. I'd like to ask about some red bumps near my mouth while we're on the subject. I shaved after having a beard and there was some irritation. Not sure if that could be related. These seem to have come up almost a week later and because of their location just want to make sure there is nothing to worry about. I am always happy when you are the one who answers my questions. I appreciate your kind and thorough answers. Thank you and God bless.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
there are different possibilities

Detailed Answer:

It is understandable to be concerned regarding any lesions on the skin.

The rash I believe you are referring to is seen most clearly in the last photo.
Rashes around the mouth can be related to: (1) perioral dermatitis- this is usually associated with a previous history of steroid cream use
In treatment for this condition, it is initially important to stop all creams or lotions used on the face.
There are other anti inflammatory creams that are normally used for treatment

(2)allergic contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis ( eczema)- this is caused by irritation with a particular agent/cream/soap

(3)bacterial infection- this can also result in similar lesions. In this case however the lesions would rupture and crust over. If this is not occurring then it is unlikely to be this type of rash

If there is a previous history of steroid cream use then you can consider the perioral possibility first.
If there is no such history and no indication of a bacterial infection then you may want to consider if there is any agent or cream that could have caused the rash and discontinue it.
The use of a mild topical steroid would also help in this case (if allergic or eczema).

You can ask any additional questions