Developed a bruise after walking. Had knee surgery and joint replacement. Cause?

Hi - I am a 75 yr. old woman. I have not exercised regularly for a number of years due to the need for 7 knee operations on my L knee. I had 3 joinr replacements before they got it right. I have just started to walk, and have noticed that after walking I have developed a bruise XXXXXXX on the front side of my R leg. If I stop walking it fades away but when I start to walk again the bruise (quite sizable) Should I stop walking? What should I do. I have some circulatory issues in my R leg but no apparent heart disease. I use to be very active; a very good athlete in all sports. What causes such a thing??
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I see that transient bruising on your right leg whilst walking has got you concerned. With due consideration of all your health issues, I would ideally need more light into the circulatory system of your lower legs both right which is your present problem and your left.

I query this as, I get the feeling that sizable bruising during walking most likely can be due to stasis in your superficial veins running under the skin. Now, with the lower legs all humans have been given valves like in the heart to prevent the back-flow of blood which is against gravity. Precisely, this is called as varicose veins - which you may not have the full blown condition at the moment.

A good vascular surgeon may be needed to asses you clinically, examine both your legs, perform some diagnostic physical manoeuvrings on the legs to ascertain the quality of your leg vein valves. The stasis of which might be causing the bruising. Next, some tests may be mandated if clinical suspicion is stronger and you would given the right treatment. Surgery as often thought by most patients is suitable only for severe cases, and you may be just given a conservative line of therapy to continue the active life you are seeking.

Also this specialist, will be the expert even in the possibility that this is not concerning the veins as I think, and relating to the circulatory background of your medical history.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.