Developed a brown pigmentation line down the nail of finger. Suggested for biopsy. Should I be concerned?

Dermatologist
Question
My wife is African American and recently developed a brown pigmentation line down the nail of her left ring finger. She is 40 years old. She recently went to see a dermatologist who suggested that she get a biopsy. Should I be at all anxious and concern about the prospect of subungal melanoma?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Pigmentation of nail or melanonychia is one of the marker or melanoma.
However similar pigmentation can be seen in lichen planus and even normally.
I would like to know is there a pigmentation of the nail fold also ?
Dont get feared melanoma is not that common.
I would like to see a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
You have a facility to upload photograph on right side of query page. Kindly utilize that.
Let me know if you have any other doubt.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Developed a brown pigmentation line down the nail of finger. Suggested for biopsy. Should I be concerned? 42 hours later
I attached a photo of her eating an XXXXXXX with the left ring finger being visible. Hopefully you've received the image.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 hours later
Thanks for the image.
I can see that darkening is seen only in nail and the skin is not involved.
Dont worry, for now nothing is to be done.
Just observe it for a month to see if there is any change or extension of the pigmentation.
If it remains stable there is nothing to worry.
Thank you