Developed Varicocele in left testicle. Feeling pain and abdominal discomfort. Should I see a doctor?

I think that I may have developed a Varicocele in my left testicle. Currently, It feels as if there is a mass of small veins attached to the back of it and the testicle itself lays lower than the right.

I have recently began to feel some faint shooting pains in my left testicle and my inner left thigh as well as some slight lower abdominal discomfort. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few weeks, but my question is are there any actions I can take in my own hands to treat myself or prevent this from getting worse until a diagnosis and decision are made? Thank You.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Indeed, your description seems to be suggestive of varicocele, which is easily described as a "bag of veins that feel and look like tortuous worms". I am happy that you are seeing a provider to address this issue at your young age, since it can be associated with not only pain but also even decreased fertility if left untreated. In the meantime, the most important thing is not to increase abdominal pressures significantly, with activities such as squatting, heavy lifting or long sessions of abdominal exercises. Try to wear comfortable underwear that does not make the area feel hot or excessively sweaty.

Hope this is useful; wish you the best health blessings.

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN