Develop swelling, bruise and pain on hand. Found dead muscle lump below elbow. Any advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Patient develop swelling, bruise and pain on right hand ( near wrist then arm at below & above elbow) about 10 days ago. Surgeon operated and found dead muscle lump at about 100mm below elbow. Strong i.v.antibiotic was given but not much improvement. Now bruise also developed at above left elbow. No high temperature and white blood count is about 9000 + lymnodes at both jaws also swollen. P/s no history of insect bite or injury. Doctor , please give advice as soon as possible.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Formation of a dead muscle lump in the arm causes a fluid accumulation, infection and gangrene in the area which needs surgical removal to save the life.
Intravenous antibiotics are necessary to suppress the infection.
The rise in WBC count is suggestive of an infection in the area. The infection is also associated with reduced platelet counts which is responsible fro spontaneous appearance of bruises.
Such a muscle gangrene can lead to grave consequences due to the spread of infection. The improvement is slow as there are multiple complications.
The treatment the patient is getting seems to be correct.
It will take him some time to improve. A close monitoring of body vitals and blood tests are needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Develop swelling, bruise and pain on hand. Found dead muscle lump below elbow. Any advice? 3 days later
Bruise, swelling persist at left lower back and below jaw. Patient suspected to having vasculitis. What's the cause, prognosis or treatment.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Vasculitis is an autoimmune phenomenon and based on the involvement, is divided into various types. Due to a compromised blood supply to various organs or extremities, necrosis is common. Non healing wounds do develop often.
It is a life long condition and complications do develop often.
The main treatment is systemic steroids and cytotoxic drugs.
If treated properly, the patient can lead an almost normal life.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Develop swelling, bruise and pain on hand. Found dead muscle lump below elbow. Any advice? 7 hours later
Where can we find a good doctor and hospital near to our area, say in singapore, to treat this patient? Which specialist shall we approach to treat this type of illness? The patient hemoglobin now is only 8.9 due to bleeding from the wound. What type of food can improve his condition? Your advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
To find a good Immunologist/ specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
WWW.WWWW.WW . I do not have any personal references in Singapore as I am from India.
Consulting a vascular surgeon or an immunologist will be the best for you.
For correction of anemia, do take iron pills 1 to 3 times a day. To get the most benefit from the pills, take them with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) pills or orange juice. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more iron. Avoid having tea.
You can add iron XXXXXXX foods like beans, raisins, spinach, chicken oatmeal, etc. to your daily diet. Having a protein XXXXXXX diet will be helpful.
Wishing you an early recovery.