Dettol on hair and scalp to treat dandruff. Is the burning sensation and hair loss due to the application?

Hello, I've been putting dettol in my hair, by patting it lightly on the scalp using a towel. I used it to treat dandruff and haven't been washing it off afterwards because I saw a huge improvement. Recently I've felt a burning sensation as well as hair loss. I was wondering if there was any correlation between the dettol use and my hair loss. And what I could so to my hair to treat the hair loss
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 48 minutes later
Dettol causes burning when you use it directly on the skin. It is a good disinfectant but can definitely lead to irritation especially in people like you who have a predisposition to allergies (given that you have a history of asthma). Yes, the hair loss could have occurred because of irritation.
I would suggest the following:
a.     Eat a nutritious and well balanced diet XXXXXXX in protein and vitamin A. Good sources of protein include poultry, fish, legumes, lentils and cottage cheese. Good sources of vitamin A include spinach, all yellow fruits and vegetables and carrots.
b.     Exercise regularly for atleast 50 minutes a day.
c.     For the dandruff, you could use ENDRUF lotion (Cetrimide 5%, calcium pantothenate 2%). Mix 2 teaspoonful with a teaspoon of lukewarm water. Massage into your hair and leave for 20 minutes. Then wash with minimum amount of mild shampoo, followed by a good conditioner. Do this twice a week and once you get rid of it, use it once a week. I will also advise you to keep your hair moderately conditioned (neither dry nor oily) by a warm oil massage once a week.
d.     If ENDRUF does not work--I have yet to see a failure for 20 years--you can use a 2% ketoconazole preparation.

Best wishes for your health.