Detected with Cholestatic Hepatitis A. Took Wysolone to reduce bilirubin levels. High SGPT levels. Should I be concerned?

Hello Doc,
I was detected with Cholestatic Hepataitis A and was taking rest for almost 1 month. As my Total bilrubin was 9.4 two weeks before, my Doc gave me 20mg of Wyslone to reduce the bilrubin count. The next week my Total Bilrubin came down to 3.9 and my SGPT was 65.7. So he suggested to stop taking the Wyslone (Steroid) and he reduced the dosage step by step to 10, 5 & finally 2.5mg. So while testing my blood today the Bilrubin only reduced to 2.9 but my SGPT went to 128.4 which is almost the double of what I had last week. My Doc told there is nothing much to worry about the SGPT levels and gave me Vitamin tablets (B & C). So I was little concerned about this. Is there anything to worry or is there something to be done to reduce my SGPT levels..
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
There is nothing to worry.
Wysolone is used for the treatment of cholestatic hepatitis In some patients but it may sometimes result in elevation of liver enzymes like SGPT.
Since your bilirubin levels have been brought down and Wysolone has been stopped,you will find levels of SGPT coming down soon.
Take plenty of water and vitamins as advised by your doctor.
Take rest.
You shall be alright soon.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Detected with Cholestatic Hepatitis A. Took Wysolone to reduce bilirubin levels. High SGPT levels. Should I be concerned? 10 hours later
Hello Doc,
Is there any special type of food or any other medicines which I should take so that I can reduce the SGPT levels. Also how long will it take for me to go back to my old condition where I could eat whatever I wished. Now I am not allowed to even sweat a little bit and is not doing any job which involves more physical strain. Should I take care more on that or can I do some simple jobs and a little bit of driving (Car not Bike).
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
High SGPT means some liver inflammation and there is no specific medicine for this.
You only have to take light food and abstain from alcohol.
Take plenty of water.
You can do light works and may even drive a car bur avoid any hard physical work.
You should be completely alright in next 3 to 4 weeks at the maximum.
Best of luck.