Detected swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. Feeling sore throat. Having pain and headache. Help?

Question
Hi. I think I postet a question earlier today. But Im not sure. So I try agin. First, Im sorry for my bad english. Im from Sweden. Hope You understand me..
Three days ago I detected a bumb, swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. About 2 cm. It was red warm and little sore. The other day a find 2 more nodes or bumbs a litte bit down from the first one. In pea size. Not red but little sore. And today I found 4 more! This time just over the collor bone. 2 in each side, mor out to the sholders. Also in pea size, little amaller. And it feels like a have even more really small ones along my neck at both side.
The first biggest one I found behind my ear has get a little bit smaller now, and not so sore if I dont toch it.
But now when I fell right under my cheekbones I feel a big hard bump, like 3cm! Not sure if it is bone or cartilage. I think I feel one on the other side to (left) but not that big!!! Im really sceard.
Yesterday my throat start feeling little sore. Like a cold. Have no fever. A little pain in my neck and little headache. Im so sceard to go see my doctor. I fear cancer..... please help........

I just saw that Im wrote wrong. I dont mean under my cheekbones, I Mean under may jawline! 1 cm under my ear on the side of my neck. Sorry.

I just forgot to tell that my both ear has being strange last two weeks.
I have hearing like a muffled hollow dull sound. Almost like I was under water, or have water in my ear. Like when you hear a car goes on idling. Sometimes it came whit my heartbeat. Hear it in the same rate. Comming and going coming and going. I dont hear it all the time, but often..
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

I can understand you might be scared so let's take it one point at a time. It sounds like something has been going with your head and neck region for atleast the past two weeks...beginning with your ears.

Now you have a sore throat and you feel some lymph nodes in your neck and in your jawline. The whole picture is consistent with some kind of upper head and neck infection either viral or bacterial. You could have a middle ear infection that is causing the hearing changes as well as the enlarged lymph nodes.

It would be advisable to see a doctor to have them look at your ears to see if you have an ear infection....also to look at your throat to see if there is any sign of inflammation etc. You may benefit from an antibiotic.

Cancer would not typically present like this. That said, if it doesn't get get better in a week or so you should have it checked out (that is if you don't go to see a doctor now for your ears and throat etc.).

I hope this has answered your questions. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Follow-up: Detected swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. Feeling sore throat. Having pain and headache. Help? 1 hour later
Thank you Sir for the answer! I look down in my throat in the mirror and farthest back behind the tonsils, I was swollen on the right side. But it is my left side that have the most nodes?
I also saw small yellowish spots in the throat. Dont now if I use to have that or not. Never look so good back in my throat before. Maybe it should be like that?
Now my lymph nodes heart a lot, I think I have squeeze and touched it to much. Im there and feel almost every minute, sceard that they have get bigger or get more of them.
I also wonder if it is normal to have swollen lymph nodes above collar bone and not being cancer? I read an old medicine book that say if you have swollen nodes there is almost always cancer. I have 2 there on both my sides. 2 on the left and 2 on the right side. The biggest is like 1cm I think. And it is on my left side were I have the othet nodes behind my ear.

Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later
It sounds like you have a throat infection causing you to have enlarged lymph nodes. You will likely need to take some antibiotics.

You can have enlarged lymph nodes above your collar bone unrelated to cancer. In you clinical situation it sounds like it's related to the throat issue. I would recommend you have it checked out by your GP to see what they think.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Detected swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. Feeling sore throat. Having pain and headache. Help? 8 hours later
Thank you Sir for the answer. I wonder if lymph nodes are cancer, in some form, can they shrink and get larger again? Or if they stay big all the time?
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 minutes later

Cancer does not come and go. Lymph nodes that increase and decrease in size are not cancerous.