Detected as carcinoma. Removed through surgery. Are there chances of growing lump again?

Hello doctor, question is on behalf on my mother. She had got a breast lump 0f 3.0cm X 4.0 size and detected as Carcinoma. It was removed through surgery on May 22, 2012. Since then she has been not taking any medication or further treatment (radiology or chemotherapy). As of now she is healthy and feel no other lumps. Are there chances of growing lumps again? Do my mother has to go for further treatments, if so, after how many days we can see a doctor? In general, in worst case scenario, how many days or how much time does the cancer cells grow again? Pre Thanks for your answers.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The long term outlook for breast cancer would depend on the stage of the disease at surgery. In your mother's case, the stage of the disease is atleast stage II. I would like to know the status of the axillary lymph nodes, infraclavicular lymph nodes, supraclavicular lymph nodes, ER/PR status ( estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor status) and if any metastasis was found on investigation ( you will find it in here case sheets).
There is a chance of developing a lump again. The higher the stage, the higher the chances. I can tell you the chances once you share her reports with me.
Further treatment would depend on stage of the disease and treatment. We should be looking at other options like chemotherapy and radiation. Please see her operating surgeon soon. Close followup is definitely required.
Awaiting your reply