Depression, violent behaviour. Taking dicorate ER250, sizodon LS, lonazep. Solution?

My son is taking Dicorate ER 250,Sizodon LS AND LONAZEP md 0.5, two times a day for last one year for his depression and at times violent behaviour. Pl let me know what is the actual function of this combination and whether it has any side effect. I also wish to know whether it is the right combinationj?He can not take stress and specially during close exam he is more erratic. Has put on weight due to inaction. Sleeps very often as has no interest in most of the thing including TV.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Violent behavior indicate psychotic symptoms. Dicorate and Sizodon is used to treat psychotic illnesses like mania, depression with psychotic symptoms and schizophrenia. Lonazep is usually given for anxiety, sleep and to reduce aggression.

These illnesses are chronic and needed for several years, depending on severity of illness and response to treatment.

Common side effects with these medicines are: weight gain, increase lipid, Diabetes, liver dysfunction, excessive sleep, hair loss, nausea and dyspepsia. But side effects occur in less number of patients. So do not stop medicines because of fear of side effects. Monitoring is side effects done by treating psychiatrist during follow up by interview, physical examination and lab investigations.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.