Depression, suicidal tendency, disinterested in studies, stays aloof, does not talk

my son XXXXXXX is 22 and a ca student . he is suffering from depression from last 8 months he does not want to talk to any one .has sucidial tendicies
wants to stay aloof . is not interested in studies any more . kindly help
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation at right time.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     22 years old male
•     Total illness duration 8 month
•     Symptoms of: depression, staying aloof, no interest in study and suicidal thoughts
•     Not received any treatment

With your description there are multiple diagnostic possibilities in your son case which can be confirmed only with personal interview and behaviour observation. But the most important thing which needs to worry about in your son case is suicidal thoughts. We have seen several cases who harm them self.

Following urgent measures need to be taken in this case:
•     Urgent consultation with psychiatrist, preferably admission in psychiatric hospital or nursing home
•     24 hr attendant with patient and never leave patient alone at home
•     No sharp object nearby patient

Final message to you: worry less and take above measures urgently.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.