Depression, lack of energy, odd mouth taste. Crave for alcohol. Can these symptoms be linked?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 36 year old male, I have always been skinny, but atheletic, For the last 6 months I have had issues with depression, lack of energy, and a odd taste in my mouth that comes and goes thru out the day. I crave alcohol in the evening which seems to give me a boost of energy. Could these symptoms be linked ?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
From your description, it is clear that you have following symptoms:
• Lack of energy.
• Odd taste in mouth.
• Craving for alcohol.

All these are symptoms of depression and need attention. Depression is not always situational (because of stress). Many times it is biological due to biochemical changes in brain. Your depression appears to biological to me.
Before prescription, physical examination and laboratory examination is needed to rule out physical causes of depression. Mental status examination is also necessary to assess severity of depression. Apart from that anti depressants are prescription drugs, so in person consultation with psychiatrist is necessary for treatment.

Following measures will help you:
• First remember your situation is transient and will solve in few weeks if you follow my advice.
• Ask help from friends and family members, do not shy for that.
• Make structured daily routine.
• Eat adequate food, fruits and drink juice. Avoid alcohol use.
• It is good if you work regularly but do not take much stress while working.
• Talk frequently with friends and family members.
• Most important visit psychiatrist so that he can counsel you and prescribe medicine for depression after assessment. Now very good medicines available for depression. People's life changes within weeks of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Depression, lack of energy, odd mouth taste. Crave for alcohol. Can these symptoms be linked? 15 minutes later
I have been seeing a phychiatrist for almost a year now. He has tried multiple medications. He says I suffer from PTSD and bi-polar II. I have been on a moderate dose of xanex to help me sleep and get thru the nightmares which works well. I have accepted the facts of PTSD etc and deal with it to the best of my ability. My biggest concern is this taste in my mouth that is exactly the same every day and my over all lack of energy. Why do have this taste in my mouth no matter how many times I brush or rinse it out ? And the craving for liquor ? And why does the Liquor give me the much needed boost of energy ? Is all of this linked with depression ? That seems to be the generic blame for all of my symptoms from every sorce I ask. I am not disputing that I suffer from depression but I can't help but wonder if the depression is a result from a physical problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The altered sense of taste can be due to deficiency of zinc and vit B3.Try taking some multivitamin-multimineral supplements for some days and see if the symptoms persist.

If the symptoms persist then other possibilities have to be probed.These include poor oral hygiene,fungal infections on the tongue or in the mouth area,endocrine disorders like diabetes,hypothyroidism, acid reflux and anxiety attacks.

Try having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the odd taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. An improvement in the taste might decrease your craving for alcohol.

If the symptoms persist then consult a physician and get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels done. Also get a dental check up done.
Alcohol is known to elevate your mood for a while so you feel good and energetic after taking it.
Quitting the alcohol completely will help you get over this feeling and depression in 4-6 weeks.
You will definitely need medical assistance to get rid of the habit. Trying to wean it out slowly does not help and in the long term may not be productive.

You might consult a deaddiction centre - where under medical supervision you can undergo a detoxification program as well as Behavior counselling.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.