Depression, insomnia, Mirtapine has caused weight gain. Any similar, weight-neutral drug available?

Hello! I am a 40 year old female who has been diagnosed with major depression along with insomnia ( these actually have been debilitating). I haven't been able to work for the first time since my teen years and I had always enjoyed my career. Several months ago my PCP prescribed 100mg Zoloft daily which seemed to help little, if any at all. She also prescribed Ambien 12 mg which worked for a while. Recently she added Mirtapine 30 mg which has worked wonders for both symptoms! I feel like a new person. I am even picking up my neglected hobbies and interests! However, I have gained a few pounds just in the last week. Is there a similar, weight-neutral drug you could suggest!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You indicated that in the past you have struggled with insomnia as well as depression. As you probably know and understand very well insomnia and depression very often go hand in hand.

I am glad to hear that you have made some slow and steady progress recently with the issues you have. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy a slow degree of improvement.

The question you have regarding weight loss is a very good one and it is a common side effect of some of these medications. I would be extremely hesitant to add any type of medication for weight loss to the regiment what you are already taking. Many of the weight loss drugs which have been used in the past have been removed from the market because they are not safe for patients.

I think the best way for you to enjoy weight loss would be to consider meeting with both a nutritionist as well as a physical therapist or exercise coach. Both an exercise coach and nutritionist could provide you with a combined plan for continued success. A healthy and balanced diet as well as a healthy daily exercise regimen will provide you with excellent results. I am very confident of this. If you are able to average exercising five or six days per week for 30 to 45 min. you will certainly see mental and physical benefits.

Again I see no real benefit in considering any medication purely for weight loss. I think weight-loss medications have really come out of common practice because they are XXXXXXX for patients. For now I would recommend what I have discussed above .

Thank you again for your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert