Depression. Taking trazodone at night time. Should I take it at daytime to be active?

Dec 2014

I am suffering from depression and the psychiatrist is weening me off Cymbalta.
I just retired and stay in bed most of the day.
The only time I have creative thoughts or energy is between midnight and 8AM.
Trazodone is taken at bedtime.
Could I ask the psychiatrist to order Trazodone for daytime, so that I may start being normally active?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Trazodon is a good anti depressant drug. It also cause sedation and help in providing good sleep. Shifting of trazodon from night to day time will not benefit much as it will cause sedation and will worsen the drowsiness and lack of energy.

You are being weaned off from Cymbalta and so there is need to add some more drug for energy levels. Some medicines like modafinil or armodafinil can be prescribed to increase the activity levels in day time. The medicine is especially given in case of low energy or tiredness in depression.

Other drugs like SSRIs as fluoxetine, escitalopram etc also don't cause sedation and are usually prescribed in day time. You can consult your psychiatrist for that.

Apart from medicines non medicinal treatment like cognitive therapy is very useful in depression. Relaxation exercises, breathing exercises helps to improve confidence and depressive symptoms.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.