Depression, ADD, taken Abilify, Paxil, Concerta. Risk of weight gain offset by Concerta?

I am on 3 medications...2 mg Abilify, 20 mg Paxil, and 58 mg of Concerta major depression and ADD for the latter. I am extremely concerned about the weight gaining effects of Abilify and Paxil that have been reported. My question is can the high risk of weight gain be offset by the concerta medication that I'm taking?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation at right time.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     40 years old female
•     Known case of depression and ADD
•     Currently on: Abilify 2mg (Aripiprazole), Paxil 20mg (Paroxetine), Concerta 58mg (methylphenidate)
•     Concern related to weight gain

As you are receiving multiple medicines, then effect on weight will be cumulative side effects of treatment.

Abilify has minimal risk of weight among its group and you are receiving very low dose (2mg) of it. Paxil has weight gain risk. And concerta reduces weight and appetite.

Overall "it appears only slight risk of weight gain in your case. Concerta would definitely help to balance weight".

I would like to give following advice which might be helpful to you.

•     Prescribe medicine in minimum effective doses
•     Weekly weight monitoring on calendar
•     Diet modification to reduce fat intake
•     Daily aerobics >30min a day
•     Salad and fruits in diet
•     Serum lipid profile at 3 months interval in case of weight gain

Final message to you is worry less. Take medicine regularly and monitor your weight.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Depression, ADD, taken Abilify, Paxil, Concerta. Risk of weight gain offset by Concerta? 19 hours later
I forgot to mention I am on 200 mg of Topomax for migraines. How does this medicine relate to my earlier question regarding overall concern of weight gain over time with all 4 medications.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Hello again,

Topomex contain Topiramate which is used for following conditions:
•     Prevention of migraines.
•     Bipolar illness
•     Psychiatrists sometime used topiramate to counteract the weight gain associated with numerous antidepressants.
•     Topiramate has been used in treating alcoholism and obesity, especially to reduce binge eating.

Weight gain risk is lower further with tomomex. So, no need to worry and monitor your weight during treatment.

Hope this answers your query.