Depressed, started sweating with rapid heart rate. Taking zanax. Found low testesteron level. Hyperthyroidism?

Question
My son has been in a state of depression for over 3 months . He has panick attacks and can't sleep without waking up panicking with sweating and rapid heartbeat. This was onset by split with business partner. Dr prescribed zanax for anexity and sleeplessness ,he says doesn't help still wakes up in middle of the night. The only thing medical test showed was a low testerone level. I had hyperthyrodism and had alot of these same symtoms. I have read that hyperthrodism is hereditary , however he was tested for it and test showed it was normal.
,I was also tested normal but within a month developed a goither ,and was diagnoised with full blown hyperthyrodism. My son is 35 years old and I have read that hyperthyroidsm in males can cause a drop in testerone levels. He also has shaking of the hands and loss of interest in everything he use to enjoy. Is there other test that could be done that the blood test did not show ? Do not know what actual test result was just that it was in normal range
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Hyperthyroidism is not hereditary but there is a genetic component so that family members are at higher risk if one of them has hyperthyroidism.Symptoms of hyperthyroidism are often similar to that seen in anxiety disorders so based just on the symptoms it may not be possible to differentiate the two. However thyroid dysfunction can be ruled out by simple blood tests which include free T3, free T4 and TSH. In hyperthyroidism free T3 & Free T4 are high and TSH is low. If in a patient these tests are normal then the symptoms cant be attributed to thyroid. I suggest to get these tests in him if not done yet. I also suggest that he consults a psychiatrist and a neurologist to get a proper perspective of the problem.
If thyroid tests turn out be normal then I think the problems are not related to any hormonal problem. Low testosterone is not common in hyperthyroidism but can be sometimes seen in psychiatric, stressful and anxiety disorders so low testosterone by itself doesnot point to thyroid problem. If low testosterone doesnot normalize with proper treatment of his psychological condition then it also needs to be evaluated and treated.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad