Depressed. Taken different antidepressants. Not getting interest in any work. Will ECT help me?

Since last October my anti-depressants have stopped working. My psychiatrist changed the medication several times the last change seemed to be working then stopped again. I've taken many different antidepressants over the years and they've all stopped working in the same way. Currently I'm more depressed than ever. I'm exhausted all the time, have no interest in anything. I'm not eating regularly. I've no interest at all in sex. Even reading is difficult. I find myself reading the same page over and over and still not knowing what was said.

At my last visit my psychiatrist said that they have refined the ECT procedure and it's very effective. She said it used to be very bad. I told my therapist what she had said and he said ECT has had a lot of success and is quite safe.

They didn't come right out and suggest it but it was obvious they wanted me to think about it. I've thought of little else. I'm terrified about it but also am so depressed I don't want to live any more. When the depression has gotten bad before I've always felt like a change in the medicine would help if I would just stick it out. Now I feel like that is gone. I honestly don't feel I'll ever get over this again. With the holidays coming up I'm not sure I'll make it. To be honest I don't want to live any more.

Do you think ECT is a good option that could help? I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of feeling depressed.

Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

ECT, indeed, is an effective and safe treatment option in subset of depressive patients who are suicidal, severely depressed, many medications have failed, poor general condition.

Administering ECT with medications make the response faster.
It is a misconception that ECT is XXXXXX Majority of these misconception have been derived from the wrong way demonstrating ECT in olden movies.

in todays modern age, modified ECT (ECT under anaesthesia) is given. Here the direct current is given for 0.6 to 1.2 second in a very very low dose. It is safe and effective.

As you say that you do not wish to live any longer, a sign of severe depression, I would strongly suggest to be in touch with your doctor in close follow up and follow her advice accordingly.

Wish you a good mental health