Dependent towards crystal meth. Trying to slow down and quit. Suggest the diet plan that could avoid excessive weight gain?

Hi there.. I've been on crystal meth since march 2012.. I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time with the wrong people.. Since that day, I was hooked immediately and I've become a heavy user or its just that, I've become dependent towards meth.. I've been trying to slow down and plan to quit by the end of this year and start off 2014 clean.. It's just that I would like a steady diet plan that could help me avoid excessive weight gain after I quit.. Can anyone help me out and share your opinions and suggestions?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
low carbohydrate diet would help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is admirable that you are trying to stop use the crystal meth and restart your life anew in 2014. IF it proves to be difficult on your own, you should consider enlisting the help of your family, good friends and professionals.

In terms of the potential for weight gain, this is a possible effect of discontinuation though the risk attached to increased weight are far less than those associated with crystal meth.
It is understandable that you are concerned about this.

It is thought that the use of a diet low in carbohydrates might be helpful.

When carbohydrates are used the body releases insulin. Insulin has different actions, one of its actions is to stop the body from breaking down fat.

This is the reason low carbohydrate diets work, by reducing the carbs, there is reduced released of insulin and fat breaks down.

Low carbohydrate diets involve reducing the use of sodas, fruit juices, bread, biscuits, pasta, rice, flour products, potato, most fruits except for berries.
Meals should consist of protein (eggs, any meat, fish, cheese) and low carbohydrate vegetables and salads.
If you are a vegetarian there is also a meal plan for this.

If you use this type of diet , significant weight gain is unlikely to occur.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions