Dents on face after waking up. Cause?

Some dents appeared on my face when I awoke this morning, what is the cause, is this a serious problem
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

These dents seem to be sort of wrinkles which got deepened by sleeping on that particular side.
If you are sleeping on your stomach, then you are, more prone for wrinkles or dents on your forehead and similarly sleeping on your side can cause dent like lines on the side you slept.

These dents are called as sleep lines.

Just relax your forehead and do some little facial massage in the morning on getting up and they disappear.

There is no need to worry about them, as it is normal and not at all serious.

Try sleeping on your back and you would find wrinkle free face in morning.

I hope it is clear to you.

Best of luck,
Follow-up: Dents on face after waking up. Cause? 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX this answer cannot be correct.
I actually sleep on my back, and the dents are not like lines, they are size and shape of a quarter coin, and are under the skin perhaps 2-3 mm. deep.
They are definite, very firm, and suggest a change in shape of my forehead. They have lasted throughout the entire day without any change or variation; it is as though underlying muscle or other support tissue has permanently collapsed. There is no associated pain or other adverse feeling.
My siblings suffer from autoimmune problems, psoriasis and ulcerative colitis: could these dents have an autoimmune or other basis ?
What action can I take to rectify the situation
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
First of all, let me assure you that this is not serious.

In the absence of any history of trauma, there is no disease, which can result in the collapse of musculoskeletal structure of your face overnight.

Since you were sleeping on your back, the most logical explanation could be that this has been brought about by the pressure of some button of sleeve of your shirt you were wearing and you kept your hand on your forehead, without you knowing it.

I would like to see how it looks. If you do not mind, please upload a picture of the dent. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Now coming to the point that what should be done?
Just wait and watch. It should disappear in a day or two.
If it persists, then I would want you to consult your doctor for the physical inspection and getting a CT scan done, to look for the cause.

You are welcome to ask any further query.