Ask a Dentist   »  

Dental problems, plastic fillings in teeth. Mouth X-ray done. How can I protect my teeth?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
hejhej

I am very afraid of my teeth and If I have too many plastic fillings. Can you look after my teeth and tell me what to do or if everything looks normal. I am very good with my teeth now and the fillings I have comes from the time when I didn’t worry and didn’t brush my teeth good enough. I would like to keep my teeth all my life. can you tell me if everything look normal in my 4 front teeth because they have all fillings.

Sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 17 hours later
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

I appreciate your concern regarding oral health. It’s good that you have also attached the full mouth X-ray.

After reviewing the X-ray, the tooth which you have marked with arrow [upper right lateral incisor] appears to have secondary decay [decay beneath the existing restoration] involving the soft tissue [pulp]. If you have pain then that may have to be treated by root canal treatment.

Among the remaining teeth, upper right lateral incisor, lower left second premolar and first molar, lower right first molar have secondary decay. They all have restored again. You have mentioned that they are ‘plastic filling’, technically they are called as Composite restoration. You can prefer the sandwich restoration which means glass ionomer base and composite restoration. This restoration is recommended because the chances of secondary decay are very minimal.

Your lower left and right 3rd molars [wisdom teeth] are not properly erupted. If it is visible partly in the mouth, then it is better to get it removed. Food lodgement in that region leads to decay of second molars which are healthy as of now.

The overall supporting bone of the teeth appears to be healthy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further clarifications to be asked you are most well-come otherwise kindly accept the answer.

Follow-up: Dental problems, plastic fillings in teeth. Mouth X-ray done. How can I protect my teeth? 2 hours later
thanks for the reply.
I think I'm most afraid of the upper right lateral incisor because the plastic filling is very XXXXXXX but I have no pain in the tooth ... when I think too much about it, then I feel like it is very faint or something like that, but I just want the hear the answear from a professional; if the tooth is safe or not ? ,,, because I don't wanna do a root canal surgery if I don't have to; and I don't wanna lose the tooth either. My dentist told me that the filling was XXXXXXX but the tooth was clean; but since I never liked my dentis, I really want to hear it from a pro out of the x-ray.

sincerely XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 16 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
     Thank you for the query,
By the x-ray which you had enclosed, it is clearly indicated that there is decay beneath the Restoration reaching the soft tissues [pulp] of the tooth. It is better to remove the active decay beneath the restoration and get the root canal done. It is advised because you can save the tooth at this point of time by root canal treatment. As days advances because of the secondary decay the tooth becomes weak and likely to fracture also.
With regards