Ask a Dentist   »  

Dental implants, retainer hurts

hi, I am 18 years old, 140 lbs. On monday I had the roots of my dental implants done, and it pains me to wear the retainer. everyday I try to put the retainer in hoping that it won't hurt and i'll be able to leave it on. But the pain hasn't faded and I am worried my teeth will shift. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Do not get off the retainer early, the teeth may not shift but can get tilt mildly.The pain will surely fade over time when you on it. You can get rid of pain for by taking pain killer medications like 400mg Ibuprofen or 250mg Naproxen after food available as over the counter in many places.

Also do avoid chewing food on that side and avoid hard foods.Do wash your mouth with Chlorhexidine solution twice daily after food and do it for three days this will prevent or inhibit any infection present there and will give you relief from the pain.Discuss about the same with your dentist and consult him at the earliest if the pain worsens day by day.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Dental implants, retainer hurts 52 minutes later
How soon would my teeth tilt without a retainer and how would they appear if they have tilted already?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 59 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up.

For such complication to occur it may take 3 to 6 months.The expectation of such a complication and duration of the retainer can be determined by the dentist based on the firmness of implant and the built crown in the socket.

Tilt in the front teeth can be made out as there will be malocclusion apparent.Where as in the molars you may face problems in mastication ( chewing ).Well most of times the fact that they are tilt cannot be perceived but there would be excess grinding over the edges of the tilted tooth resulting in early ware off in the opposite normal tooth and loosening of the implants in the affected tooth.

Hope I answered your doubts complete and clear.

Wishing You good health.