Dent appeared on head few days after injury. Sore to touch. Worried for fracture or internal bleeding

Nov 2013

Hello, I was playing hockey a week ago and a stick hit me on the head. Top back right. There was a huge bump, but I didn't lose conscientious or have any severe headaches. I did feel a bit off, but nothing more. Now a week later there is a dent where the bump was, and it is still very sore to touch. Should I be worried about any fractures or XXXXXXX bleeding? I do have minor headaches from time to time, but they do not last very long.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your findings do not suggest any serious underlying brain injury.

The symptoms are suggestive of scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin), which is resolving now.

Fracture or XXXXXXX bleeding would have caused more severe headache and additional symptoms such as vomiting, etc.

So, as of now, there is no need to worry. You should get better in a few days.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad