Demographism, raised and inflamed skin, taken Zyrtec. Will something serious happen when I am getting a tattoo?

Dermatologist
Question

I have an appoinment for full back Tattto in the next 1 week, but suddenly my skin develop "dermographism hives": 1 week ago, in which the skin becomes raised and inflamed when stroked, scratched, it only last for 30 mins-2hours then completely disappear leave no XXXXXXX

I am taking zyrtec 10mg 24hours once a day and skin only red when scratch hard but NO MORE raised and welted pump if i keep taking Zyrtec, i email my Tattoo artist to ask him about Hives and tatto and this is what he said: " Let's do it! I seen it happen before, more common than u think. As long as yur doctor does not advised against it, I'm ok."

I just want to know is: Will something VERY serious will happen like bleeding to dead or infection if it flare up when i am having a tattoo ? " ( With Zyrtec that i am taking, my skin only red when scratech but NO more raised pump), I really want to get this done now because it take 3,4 month to wait for the tattoo apointment and most likely i will stuck with hives forever, i dont want to wait.

I search the internet, many people with dermographism hives reported that when they getting the tattoo, the weird things that their hives never show up when they getting a tattoo and the tattoos come out fine, do u have any ideas about this ???

Please respond asap, i dont want Hives stopping me from doing something that i really want in my life

Thank you very much !!!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 4 hours later
Hello
Dermographism can occur even in normal persons without any obvious reasons. It gets controlled with anti histamines. At some point of time it vanishes. But still it is better to undergo a battery of tests like sugars. Thyroid etc after consulting your doctor.
Regardind tatoos keloid tendency is the only absolute contra indication. However on the day of tattoing you may to take one zyrtec tablet 2 hrs before tatoo. In case if you develop any complication like severe dermographism feel free to cosult your family physician and take one shot of steroid injection with which it will vavish
Have a healthy day
Prasad pvs

Follow-up: Demographism, raised and inflamed skin, taken Zyrtec. Will something serious happen when I am getting a tattoo? 6 minutes later
Regardind tatoos keloid tendency is the only absolute contra indication. ??? what is it really means ,

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
Hello
I would like to answer q 1.
I don't believe that tatoo can cure dermographism. There is no scientific basis. I am not sure what internet says but my knowledge is from standard dermatology text books for post graduates.
Q2. Keloid is tendency in some people where the simple and small scars in some people extends like a wing beyound scar margin
Thank you for asking doubts
Have a good day
Prasad pvs

Follow-up: Demographism, raised and inflamed skin, taken Zyrtec. Will something serious happen when I am getting a tattoo? 2 hours later
So with my hives condition, getting a tattoo WILL NOT cause anything seriours like bleeding to dead or bad infection right ???

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 15 hours later
Hello
Hives is a minor problem. Most patients live with it for years . It is not a XXXXXXX condition. Angioedema is a life thretening disease. Thatis why I suggested you to consult a doctor if you have any serious symptom. You can go ahead with you tatoo but take a prphylactic anti histamine
Have a good day
Prasad