Delivered premature child. Has sensory processing disorder. How to indicate autism?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter (a twin) was born at 26w3d weighing 1lb 15.8oz. She is exhibiting characteristics of a sensory processing disorder. What signs should I be looking for to indicate autism. She is 15 months old (12 months adjusted)
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Your child has a corrected age of 12 months now!
Being a vlbw baby of 26 wks, her growth and development will depend on the associated complications that she had during her prolonged NICU stay( which I guess was app 8-10 wks!!)- like CLD,Rop,
Intracranial hemorrhage if any,inter current infections,etc.
So autism as such is difficult to look for at this stage.
It is difficult to attribute any sign or symptom to autism rather than the developing very low birth weight premi!

The normal signs of autism like no eye to eye contact,
Delayed development in many basic areas like learning to talk,play, and interact with others.
It is a wide spectrum of disorders.
Sometimes one may find regression of already developed mile stones.

May be your other twin will be a control for comparison.
The signs of autism become more apparent by at least 18 months ,but before that a mother's instinct is the better indication.

Wish you good luck
God bless
Dr Uma