Delivered premature baby. Is breastfed and given Nan pro. Suggest complete food chart that can be given?

I delivered my Baby boy on XXXXXXX 21 2013.Now I am breast feeding him as well as giving him Nan Pro 1

He was born on 31 weeks[preterm baby].My EDD was March 21st 2013,but he was born on XXXXXXX 21st 2013.

Please let me know in details what all food I should give him going forward

Please give me a complete food chart as what to give in which month.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 2 hours later

As your baby is 5 months old already, I hope the baby is out of the risk of some complications that can occur in early neonatal period. According to standard international duidelines, preterm baby should start supplementary feeds between 6 and 7 months but making sure that the baby is interested while the parents are eating, putting some things into mouth and can easily be supported in a sitting position.

The utensils used for feeding should be sterilized and made sure that they are clean and free.

Supplementary can be started as 1-2 teaspoons of baby rice mixed with a little of your baby’s usual milk and little unsalted, cooked and pureed vegetables (carrots,potatoes). Fruits like XXXXXXX sweet potato, nicely grinded can be added. AVOID adding sugar, honey and salt.

If the baby rejects the food, try again the next day. 1-2 teaspoons once a day is plenty for the first 1-2 weeks. Further feeding depends on how he is responding. Premature babies taking formula milk should continue this until 12-18 months of age.

For more detailed information, post a query to Dietician as well.

Take Care!