Delayed periods, weakness, mood swings, fatigue. Had sex once last month using withdrawal method. Pregnancy symptoms?

Pulmonologist
Question
hi,My wife usually has regular periods but this time is delayed by 5 days. She is having weakness and mood swings. She says she is very weak and not as usual. Also, we didn't have active sex last month except once when i pulled out at the climax stage. Is this signs of pregnancy.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 14 minutes later

Since her periods are due , you can get a home urine pregnancy test done to confirm pregnancy (Pregnancy test kits are available in Pharmacy drug shops and instructions are written on them. they are fairly simple to use.). Since you did not have active sex in the past 1 month there are less chances of pregnancy. Sometimes due to malnutrition /anemia the periods get delayed.

Do get your wife's hemoglobin and complete blood count checked as she is having weakness. Improve her diet and if found to be anemic start her on iron supplements/ multi vitamins and also give her a deworming course (Tb. Albendazole 400 mg single course).

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Reagrds

Follow-up: Delayed periods, weakness, mood swings, fatigue. Had sex once last month using withdrawal method. Pregnancy symptoms? 22 hours later
Hi Doctor
Further to the above question, she always has regular periods and hasn't had any issues with the delayed date. Also, i read in some of the articles that pre cum may also cause pregnancy.Is that true. What are the chances of the same .

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 26 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for the follow up.
I still suggest that :
1. You get your wife checked for anemia as it is very common in Indian women.If found to be anemic management under a physician's supervision can be done as per the steps mentioned in the previous post.
2. Get a Urine pregnancy test done at home.

As to your doubt regarding pre cum - This fluid is released from the cowpers gland, located at the top of the urethra. The purpose of this fluid is to reduce the acidity in the urethra and provide lubricant for the sperm that is released once ejaculation occurs. Most guys have no control over it and cannot feel it coming out. There is much conflicting data on whether this fluid contains sperm that can result in pregnancy.
However precaution should be taken even with this precum as rarely it may cause pregnancy.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, weakness, mood swings, fatigue. Had sex once last month using withdrawal method. Pregnancy symptoms? 23 hours later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for the mail. To add on, she is feeling nausea and having weakness. The query is whether Anemia can be one of the reason for the delayed periods. Also, can somebody be pregnant in spite of being anemic. Also,does this happen suddenly.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

The answer to your queries are as follows.
1. Yes, anemia can be one of the reasons of delayed periods.
2. Yes, pregnancy can occur in spite of being anemic.

Hope I have answered your query.Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.