Delayed periods, unprotected sex. Took postinor, normal bleeding should have begun. Negative pregnancy test. Pregnancy?

Question
i took postinor 10 days ago and i normally bleed by the 5th day but this time i still havent, i took a home pregnancy test which was negative what should i do ?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

For such symptoms, firstly you need to test your pregnancy status by doing a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test. Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hcg test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Serum HCG is much more specific test for the confirmation of pregnancy. If pregnancy is ruled out then the other causes may include hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.

It could be hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease.

Seek a gynaecologist in that case who will take a careful medical history, a physical examination, including a pelvic examination and investigations like levels of ovarian, pituitary, and thyroid hormones and imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT or MRI scanning.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, unprotected sex. Took postinor, normal bleeding should have begun. Negative pregnancy test. Pregnancy? 11 hours later
i have been under a lot of stress and i feel it is due to this reason? could you comment? normally when i am stressed my period is delayed....
my only worry is since i have taken the postinor why i havent bled yet?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

It is true that stress and even hormonal imbalance due to taking the post coital pill can delay the periods but it is important to rule out pregnancy first of all. Hence it is important to do a repeat urine for pregnancy test with a sensitive urine for pregnancy test or serum HCG test to completely rule out pregnancy and then think about the other causes.