Delayed periods, stress. Unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i had unprotected sex a week before my period was suppose to come. Although i know the pulling out method dosnt really work thats what i used. we both are very positive no sperm went inside of me. Its been 7 days and my period is late. My last period started Nov 21. Im out on mission and i been very stressed and depressed. my sleeping habits also changed. should i worry? earlier this year i missed a full month of my period while at basic training. what do i do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,

First of all relax, because stress itself can delay your periods by creating hormone imbalance.
Most likely one week prior to period is considered a safe period when chances of pregnancy are less even if sperm enters, because ovulation has likely to have occurred during middle half of cycle and the hormonal mileu at end of cycle doesn't favour a pregnancy.
But nothing can be surely said in case of unprotected sex.
I would advise you wait for a week more and if you still dont get your periods then get a urine pregnancy test done .This wil resolve any doubts.
You do not need to worry if it comes negative.
If positive which is less likely in your case, then please consult your gynaecologist .
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Delayed periods, stress. Unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy? 14 hours later
Thanks, after a week more if it do not come i will take a test but till then i will try to relax and not think about it. Is the morning the best time to take a test?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

Yes, the morning sample of urine is concentrated and more likely to give correct results but it is not compulsory to use the morning sample only. You can do the test any time.

Wishing you good health,